I just ran across this post, "Was It Only a Game?" on Dick Cavett's blog. I think Cavett's essay is just a beautiful piece of writing, and together with the clip of his first interview with Fischer (sumer of 1971, prior to the Spassky match) give a more nuanced and complex (and sympathetic) impression of an earlier, quite different intellect from the later raving paranoid Fischer became.
For those who choose not to read Cavett's post, I have to at least say that Cavett closes his essay by discussing those who did not have "a good death," and includes the closing lines from an E.E.Cummings poem, with no title but referred to by its first three words: “Buffalo Bill’s / defunct”:
Jesus**********
he was a handsome man
and what I want to know is
how do you like your blue-eyed boy
Mister Death
Incidentally, the title of this post is, according to Wikiquote, an "Anonymous ancient proverb, wrongly attributed to Euripides."
No comments:
Post a Comment